Hi! I’m MAYI CARLES, a tiny Panamanian artist with a T-Rex heart making a living on the Internet by being myself + owning my weird + sharing the lesson’s I’ve learned along the way, including the messy middle.
Whether you’ve hit a plateau + you’re feeling overwhelmed by all the incompletes in your checklist + you’re looking for a smarter way to get where you want to go or you’re simply in need of a friend who gets it, I’m here, as your personal pocket-size cheerleader to help you transform your hiccups into a story of triumph.
My flagship course Life is Messy Bootcamp® has helped 7,000+ save-the-world-in-pajamas types take their brilliant ideas from lightbulb to done + reclaim their neglected bucket lists + turn their multiple curiosities into a healthy money-making business.
Studied Art in Scuola Lorenzo de Medici in Florence, Italy. Received a dual Bachelor degree in Communication Studies + Art Theory and Practice with a minor in Art History from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois. Completed a Masters in Art in Visual and Critical Studies from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in Illinois.
I’ve been featured on the cover of HOLA Magazine + U.S News + Huffington Post + CreativeLive + ArtfulBlogging + almost all predominant local publications. And have also collaborated with world-renowned brands like Roxy + Kielh’s + Kate Spade NY.
I currently live in tropical paradise with the love of my life David + our beautiful baby girl Olivia, and work in a lil’ nook of a studio filled with children’s books + bunting flags + vintage toys + party props.
Here are 20 things about me you won’t find on Google:
- When I was a little girl, I wanted to be an immigrations officer cuz I was obsessed with stamps. But! When I realized I couldn’t wear my pajamas to work, I quickly changed my mind.
- Some days I eat salads + dance like a maniac. Other times, I have an entire pizza all to myself + refuse to put on pants. It’s called balance.
- I’m T-E-R-R-I-F-I-E-D of lizards.
- My best ideas come in the shower, while I’m winning arguments in my head.
- I watched too much Pinky and the Brain when I was little, hence the WORLD DOMINATION inclinations.
- People who drill on the weekends are not my friends.
- Anyone that doesn’t agree with leggings as pants can physically fight me. And I’m gonna win because I have a full Kung Fu Panda range of motion due to the fact that I’m wearing leggings as pants. Ka-POW!
- This is me on the car: Plays music. Sings lyrics. Sings backup vocals. Sings guitar riffs. Plays the drums with the stirring wheel. Head bangs. Moves hips like Shakira. I perform.
- My patronus is a unicorn.
- When someone is mean, I get this sudden urge to release glitter into the sky above their head + watch it shower over them like a baptism of kindness.
- One time, I illegally crossed the Canadian border inside a trash bucket.
- I have no tolerance for critics who sit outside of the ring. See something you think you can do better? For the love of all things holy, DO IT. Do it + share it with us. Otherwise, shush your pie whole.
- I have never been able to fully understand what prompts people to take a drug to make a sunset more enchanting or a song more powerful. Life, like real life, has always been enough for me.
- I’ve always been slightly frightened of elevator doors.
- I carry a San Benito medal in my wallet to protect me from evil spirits.
- I like people who don’t fit inside a box or stay between the lines, but who’s integrity is greater than any rule book. My kind of people.
- I respond to WhatsApp messages in my head all the time. Weeks can go by before I realize I didn’t actually respond, like in real life. I’m working on that.
- I’m an obsessive list maker + avid checkmarker. I often jot down a task I’ve just completed just so I can get the immediate satisfaction of crossing it off. There. I said it. Sue me!
- Sometimes I just need hubby to hug me + say “I know it’s hard. Everything is gonna be alright. I love you. Here’s 6 million dollars.”
- I’m still learning to love the part of myself that no one claps for.