Sweet! You’re here. I was hoping you’d stop by. Hurry, hurry, the show’s about to start. Grab a virtual cupcake (or two) + put on your paint stained pajamas. It’s time.
My name is Mayi Carles + I’ll be your host for this mission. Destination: Your metaphorical star. Yes, that one. The one you can’t get off your head. Exactly.
Deep down, I know you long to catch it, but stuff gets in the way doesn’t it?
Owning your story is hard. You might be tempted to ignore it. You might choose to never seek it – after all, society does applaud the docile + the well-behaved + the “perfect”. You can convince yourself that it’s really not that big a deal. Well… you can try, but something magical will be lost + all you will feel is emptiness.
Embracing your vulnerabilities is risky but not nearly as dangerous as giving up on who you are – your purest life force. Claiming it is the bravest thing you’ll ever do.
To help, I’ve started a revolution here on Heartmade against fitting in. People-pleasing leads to ice cream. Instead, we’re letting go of who we think we should be to reclaim who we’re born to be, one gremlin at a time.
Excuuuuuu-se me perfectionism, messy coming through. Beep beep!
So c’mon on over. Yes you. This is your space to spill open your “flaws” + hopes + fears + epiphanies + worries + questions. You’re bound to leave here feeling lighter + empowered + most certainly loved.
My birth certificates says I’m María Alejandra Carles, but please call me Mayi. I have a weakness for party props + measuring cups + gingham bunting flags + hubby’s kisses. If left unsupervised, I could eat an entire batch of Red Velvet cupcakes. So nice to meet you!
When I was 2, my parents framed my very first crayon doodle, which still hangs in my mom + dad’s bedroom in its shiny gold painted frame. At the age of 4, I took up my version of “mural painting”, applied Mattel plaster + splattered tempera paint to wall surfaces. When I turned 7, apparently inspired by the otherworldly works of Salvador Dali, I drew on my little brother Coco the first of many permanent mustaches. By the time High School rolled out, I’d already turned the dinner table into my sewing station.
To say the least, I’ve been a little too curious + hyperactive for my own good, always testing the limits of those around me. Sorry mom!
I studied Art in Scuola Lorenzo de Medici in Florence, Italy; received a dual Bachelor degree in Communication Studies + Art Theory and Practice + a minor in Art History from Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois; + a Masters in Art in Visual and Critical Studies from The School of the Art Institute of Chicago in Illinois.
My first gig was Program Coordinator for The Aspen Institute’s leadership program The Central American Leadership Initiative Foundation (CALI), a non-profit organization that seeks to inspire leaders across the region to transcend from success to significance.
the beautiful mess in between
- I call my mom everyday.
- I wanted to be an immigrations officer when I grew up, that’s how much I love stamps.
- When I realized the job didn’t involve crayons or wearing my pajamas + I quickly changed my mind.
- I wear my paint stained Winnie the Pooh jammies 95% of the time.
- I think there’s something deeply spiritual about choosing authenticity every day.
- I’m T-E-R-R-I-F-I-E-D of lizards.
- My best ideas come to me while singing in the shower.
- I watched too much Pinky and the Brain when I was little, hence the world domination inclinations.
- I’m known for messing up the lyrics to every song on my iTunes.
- My fave exercise routine involves whipping out Billy Blanks moves in the sand. Bam!
- Folding fitted sheets makes me grumpy.
- My 85 year old grandma’ is my secret weapon.
- I’m a recovering perfectionist.
- My man might be in charge of the BBQ, but I’m his dancing sous chef.
- I love dressing up. Halloween is not enough.
- One time, I illegally crossed the Canadian border inside a trash bucket.
- I have no tolerance for mean people. Cruelty is cheap + easy. Yuck!
- I’ve always been slightly frightened of elevator doors.
- I love high fiving babies.
- I have laugh tantrums every day of my life. My family calls them “chiripiorcas”.
Well enough about me. Now, I’d love to hear about you!!! The comment section is a great place to start. The contact page is a close second. Come, introduce yourself. I’m so pumped to finally meet you.
Marcela Macías, who thinks about pictures, dreams about pictures, takes hundreds of pictures + has even developed an incipient prop addiction, is our official food stylist + fairy god-photographer + on demand Master Yoda. Born in Argentina, Marcela currently lives in Nicosia, Cyprus, with her husband and twin children. She works as an independent Food and Product photographer + writes the blog The Celebration Girl (where she shares recipes + crafts + DIY + ideas for easy entertainment) + licenses some of her pictures through Getty Images. Marcela has lived in 4 continents, 7 countries and 8 cities so far + can’t sing or draw to save her life + identifies with Kung Fu Panda’s Po (a movie she has been known for quoting on many occasions). Marcela believes that beauty is in the small things + that a happy life is one filled with little joys + precious moments shared with the ones we love.