Yeah, research maniac, I’m talking to you.
Please sit down. We need to have a talk.
I know you think your “Internet research” starts innocently, but then you need to look up just one more thing. Before you know it, you are 52 sites deep + 2 hours have rushed by, wasted on what was supposed to be a 30 second quick search.
Fact: There is no such thing as speedy web search.
Technology is supposed to make life easier. It’s meant to save us time. Yet, between e-mail + web-surfing + scrolling down recipes your not even gonna make + cute baby videos + Instagram stories, we domino into browsing black holes.
According to research, people spend an average of 23.5 hours a week online. That’s nearly a day a week, swept away. Wait a second, that’s also 52 days spent searching for something. What were we looking for anyways?
What could you accomplish if you could reclaim even a portion of that time? Aha. That’s why I’m here.
I wrote this post to give you FOUR practical ways to reduce your web time quite a bit:
- When you reeeeeally need to get work done without interruptions, take yourself off the grid. That means NO INTERNET. Yeap that includes putting your phone on “airplane mode” too. There are software apps that will let you block specific websites for a specified amount of time even if you want a more oficial solution.
- Set a time limit on your web adventures. Better yet, set an actual timer with a loud + annoying alarm. This puts a boundary on your surfing. Or, at a minimum, it will snap you out of your web-induced coma when it starts ringing.
- Train your brain to resist the urge. Do you really need to know the answer to every bit of trivia that pops up in the course of your day? Trick your mind to resist the urge to stalk your favorite blogger, take the test to see what Star Wars character you are or check to see if there’s a new carpool karaoke video up. One peek could end up spiraling you into a rabbit hole. You are stronger than the temptation.
- Save it for later alligator. When browsing, it can be tempting to keep clicking each related link. Next thing you know you’re stuffing donuts down your face. Where am I? I dunno about you but this always makes me feeling like crap, like the project I’m working on isn’t good enough, like it needs one extra module, one more chapter, one more thing. Know the feeling, don’t ya? So lately I’ve just been saving stuff for later. I literally just take a screenshot or pin it. It gives me peace of mind that it will be there when I need it. And it end the research frenzy. Interestingly, I often find that when I go through my saved queue, I clear out many articles without reading ’em. Yep, upon later reflection, you realize they weren’t worth the time in the first place.
How do you prevent yourself from endlessly surfing the web? You can leave a comment below.
Remember, no one ever became successful sitting in front of the computer all day. Or on their phones + tablets. Think about that.
We’ll meet again. Soon.
I want us to do something different today for a change. I’m not gonna do the talking. I hand you the mic. I want to hear your story. But! Not not your highlight real. I don’t hear another success story. I want the story that’s behind the curtains.
I want to hear your messy story. Drop it in the comments. Please!
What’s the point? To make you realize that YOU WON. Look at all the stuff that got in the way, and you’re still here. You survived. Whatever tried to knock you down. It lost.
Look at mess as your life data. And as a reminder that you my friend are a survivor and a thriver.
You got this!
Struggling to put out awesome content on social media on a consistent basis? Worried about looking like a total amateur? Too busy being busy to promote your business?
Mayi to the rescue.
Click play to steal my done-for-you 30 Day Social Media Plan!
Need a cheat sheet? Grab my drink. Here ya’ go!
There you have it my friend, a month’s worth of doable social media content at your fingertips.
Tag me @mayicarles using the hashtag #30DaySocialPlan to see how you’re doing.
Hey, it’s okay, it’s okay. You’re welcome. I’m just an ordinary demi-gal.
My current obsession: Listen to The Tim Ferriss Show while I’m sketching or painting. Keeps me in the flow.
The other day Tim asked one of his guest on the show: “What have you changed your mind about in the last few months and why?”
It got me thinking. Thinking about what I have changed my mind about recently.
I got it! Came to me fast and clear.
Know what I’ve changed my mind about? Blogging.
I used to think blogging was the holy grail for online entrepreneurs. Either you blogged consistently at least once a week or your business was doomed to fail.
Black and white. Very Libra of me.
Hit play to see what changed and my new take on blogging. Psst… it’s not what you might expect.
What have you changed your mind on in the last few months and why?
Have you heard? We’re launching Operation World Domination mañana, along side with B-School. And before you start making excuses about not having enough time or money, please hear me out!
Operation World Domination was built with you in mind – the modern entrepreneur…
- who would rather create than promote her business,
- who would love to make $30K from her next launch or $150K this year (not millions and billions),
- who doesn’t want to run a team of 28 people but would love an assistant and to hire out certain projects like product photography or videography,
- who wants to figure out how to apply marketing concepts to HER type of business.
- who has trouble focusing and jumps from project to project, and still doesn’t have a signature product or service,
- who wishes she could find her perfect biz bestie, and who needs hand holding to make it to the finish line.
You might still be thinking that you don’t have the time or money to invest in this kind of program.
First, that thought comes from a place of scarcity and if you’re running your business with that mindset, no wonder you aren’t making what you’re worth.
Second, I’ve got some great news for you.
Click play! Or keep reading.
To recap, April and I are offering a full double scholarship to Operation World Domination, for a creative entrepreneur AND their bestie.
If you win, you (and your friend) get:
- 8 weekly mastermind calls
- an invite to a private Facebook clubhouse
- the coolest mug in the galaxy
- 1 year subscription to Sunday Society
- 1 year subscription to Life is Messy Bootcamp
- a behind the scenes of SIX B-School launches
Don’t miss out on your chance to win a spot inside of Operation World Domination.
- Download the image above.
- Post the image above on the social media platform of your choice (Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) with the caption: I want to join #OperationWorldDomination with April and Mayi. Come join me at: www.joinOWD.com. You get major bonus points if you post it on multiple platforms (and those bonus points definitely make a difference when picking a winner).
- In your caption or social media post, tag your friend and/or include the name of your friend that you want to go through Operation World Domination with, because taking over the world with your BFF is so much more fun, right.
- Tag us if applicable (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook). April is @blacksburgbelle and Mayi is @mayicarles.
- Comment below to let us know: where you posted the image and caption, the name of the friend that will also get a scholarship to Operation World Domination if you win, why you want to take Operation World Domination with that friend, and your favorite pizza topping…because pizza makes everything more fun.
Entries close on February 25th at 11pm EST, so make sure you do it now! Don’t miss out on your chance to win a spot inside of Operation World Domination.
Good luck everyone. And may the odds be ever in your favor.
PS: If you decide to join Operation World Domination before the winner is announced and you win the scholarship, we’ll simply refund your payment.