So pumped to share with you some pictures + even a short clip of the Life is Messy Kitchen Book Launch Party. I know not all of you could tele-transport to Panama to attend, so I tried to document the event to the best of my abilities to show you a glimpse of what went down. I hope it makes you feel like a little part of you was there.
From the very beginning I knew I wanted this to be a kids-friendly event, so I set up a coloring book table to keep them entertained + of course brought in helium balloons, cuz a party without balloons is really just a meeting.
(Everyone who purchased the Life is Messy Kitchen – The BIG Bundle, has access to all these exclusive coloring book pages you see featured in these pictures)
Mom now jokingly calls me “J.K.” She’s still pretty psyched about the amount of people that showed up the party + stood in line to get their books autographs + take a picture with me. I still can’t believe it. For three hours, it truly felt like I was the coolest Disney ride in the block. That was a moment.
Everyone tried to convince me to hire out a catering company, specially being 7-months pregnant n’ all. I didn’t listen. Up to this point I had only cooked for my family + small gatherings with close friends, which was a blessing because I didn’t realize what I had gotten myself into, until it was too late for Plan B.
I couldn’t picture serving fried empanadas at my event or Coke. First, you gotta strap me to my bed before I feed my army with crap. Luckily, it didn’t have to come to that.
With the help of my friend + extraordinary chef, Carolina Garcia, we feed more than 250 people that day with nourishing recipes from the book. Here’s what we made:
- Lentil Quinoa Salad with Raw Vegetables
- Kung Fu Fighter Sushi with Seasonal Veggies and Tamarin Sauce
- Banana and Dark Chocolate Granola
- Heartmade Granola Parfaits with Greek Yogurt and Fresh Berries
- Mapled Pecans with Rosemary and Orange Zest
- Peanut Butter Cups
- Cashew Blueberry Bars
- Thumbprint Coconut Cookies with Mixed Berries Jam and Pistachios
- Clean Nutella Spread
- Pistachios Butter served with Whole Wheat Toast
And dad (aka Mr. Life Blends) supplied the beverages:
- Calypso Royale
- Vineyard Delight
- Hazelnut Milk
Of course, all these recipes can be found inside the book so you can make them too!
And here’s a little teaser of the mini movie that’s coming. To watch, click play!
I’m eternally grateful to:
- Tere + Alessa + Emily from Uber Shop for making me feel at home + being the world’s most amazing party hosts.
- Susy Aramburú + Sarah Tyler for documenting the event, so one day I can show Olivia what mom did.
- Truenos y Relampagos + Mairena for killing it with the music.
- Helga from 4Bistro for helping me decorate the party. This preggo lady could have never done it without you.
- Chef Carolina Garcia + La Cocina de Sofy for helping me feed 250 attendees.
- Boutique Flowers for taking my “flower colada” concept to a whole new level of awesome.
- Studio Marroquin for making me feel pretty.
- Life Blends for providing my guests with the best juices in the world. They are!
- Felipe Motta for supplying us with organic wine. Unfortunately, I couldn’t try it, but I hear it was exquisite.
- My mom + my Suegris for making sure people were feed + everything looked as I had envisioned in my Pinterest board.
- My wonderful + very patient husband who deserves a Nobel Peace Prize, for packing + unpacking all my crazy party props, including forty helium balloons he somehow managed to fit inside his car, and for entertaining everyone who walked through the door with all the behind the scenes stories of how the book came to be.
- Everyone who came + to all of you who couldn’t make it, but I know where there in spirit. I felt it, your unconditional love + support. All of it.
Thank YOU is not a big enough thing to say to express my gratitude right now. I can’t high five you high enough or hug you tight enough to show you how much I appreciate you. My little book threw a party + you showed up for me, both physically + metaphysically. You are AWESOME!!!
Now comes the part I’ve been a little shy about, but it’s time.
I Need Your Help
So here’s the deal. I’m not even gonna try to play it cool. Pretend that making this book was easy breeze. That the funds poured in. That I executed the project in record time + under budget. That I got a sweet deal on Shark Tank. That Ellen’s people called.
The truth is Life is Messy Kitchen was a ku-raaaa-zy labor intensive passion project. It took 17-months to make from start to finish + a team of incredible human beings to execute + all my life’s savings to self-fund, in full.
I feel blessed the book is DONE + far more magical than I had imagined it in my dreams, but the work is far from over. I really REALLY need your help. My growing baby belly doesn’t allow me to jump on planes anymore + do a global book tour or knock on Oprah’s door, but maybe, I’m hoping, there is still plenty we can do, together.
Here’s what I have in mind:
- I’m looking to partner with some cool boutiques + indie shops. Is that you? Do you own a cute store? Wanna be a LIMK retailer + make money together? E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org + I’ll send you all the details.
- I’m also hoping to play in the big leagues with the folks of Whole Foods + West Elm + Barnes & Noble + William Sonoma + Anthropologie. I’m not embarrassed to admit it out loud anymore. That’s where I want to see this book displayed. So if you know someone who knows someone who could get the book in front of the right people, could you please send me their contact info or tell them to write me at email@example.com?
- I envision mom’s + aunties + best friends + companies purchasing multiple copies of the book to giveaway to their peeps. As a birthday present. As a wedding gift. As a fundraiser favor for VIP donors. Interested? E-mail me at firstname.lastname@example.org + I’ll send you my special rates for bulk orders.
- Or why not treat yo’ self? Get yourself a copy at www.lifeismessykitchen.com. Your purchase helps keep this creative little empire alive.
With your help, I know we can get this lil’ book into Oprah’s Favorite Things list or the Ellen show. I know it. If you’ve seen the book, I know, deep down, you know it totally possible too. This book is so special. It deserves a chance.
I can’t wait to get all these book orders into your hands. Into your homes. Into your kitchens.
It’s that simple.
Next week, I will pick a winner. You just may get lucky. Someone has to, why not let it be you? The lucky winner will get a free autographed copy of Life is Messy Kitchen. Yay!
Photos: Susana Aramburú
Video Stills: Sarah Tyler